You’re just a few taps away from exploring the world
Google Maps is a powerful tool that helps you navigate the world around you by providing detailed layouts and directions to various locations. It can guide you through known and unknown territory, making it easier than ever to find where you’re going. It takes away the fun of asking for directions, but it provides fantastic tools to play with, like distance and area measurements and Street View.
Street View allows you to virtually explore the streets of a given location as if you were physically there. It’s effortless to use and can be an invaluable tool for getting directions to a new place, scouting out a location before a visit, or when you want to satisfy your curiosity about a location.
This tutorial shows you how to access Street View in Google Maps and take a virtual tour of the streets of any location you choose. If you decide to use it locally, check if the feature is available in your country and explore.
How to access Street View on the mobile app
When you use the mobile app on your top-of-the-line Android or iOS device, access Street View by following these steps:
- Open the Google Maps app.
- Locate the Layers icon in the upper-right corner of the screen (marked in the image below) to show the map types and details you can display.
- Select Street View from the Map details menu.
- Tap the X button or anywhere outside the Layers menu to go back to the map.
- If Google Street View is available in the region you’re looking at, the pathways and roads are overlaid with a blue line.
- Tap the location you wish to explore, and the app opens a split-screen setup. The top half shows the Street View, while the bottom displays the default map view where you can browse more areas.
- Tap the Expand icon in the lower-right corner of the Street View window to go full screen in Street View mode and get a tourist’s view of the area.
- To move around, tap the directional arrows or double-tap in the direction you want to go. You can also zoom in to get a closer look.
How to access Street View on the web
Here’s how to access Street View when using your desktop or laptop:
- Navigate to maps.google.com.
- Click the yellow Street View logo in the lower-right corner of the screen. The map is overlaid with a blue line over roads and paths.
- Alternatively, hover over the Layers option in the lower-left corner, click More, and select Street View.
- In Satellite View, double-click any road to launch Street View. On a mouse, use the scroll wheel or two-finger gesture to zoom in and out of Street View mode.
- To access split-screen mode in which Street View occupies the top half while the bottom half shows the map, hover over the map preview and click the Expand icon in the lower-left corner.
- To move around, double-click in the direction you want to go. To zoom in and out, look for the buttons in the lower-right corner (this is also possible with a mouse scroll wheel or a trackpad).
Take a virtual stroll through the streets
Google Maps is a must-have tool for anyone on the go, but it’s more than a navigation tool. With Street View, you can virtually visit any location and explore the streets as if you were there. This is a great resource if you plan to travel and want a feel of the area before going there or if you want to experience the world from the comfort of your home.
Google Maps has become indispensable for commuters and vacationists worldwide, but there’s more to it than meets the eye. Check out our Maps top tips and tricks to make the experience even more awesome.