Boy was 2021 a rough year, I won’t go into details but for the most part, I’m happy to see
it go! It’s been a few months since I last posted but I’ve been very busy. Around the house
I picked up a ZigBee thermostat but I haven’t installed it yet. I have several Sonoff 2-Way
switch modules, not installed yet. I purchased a SuperMicro server so I can fully support
Xfinity’s 1.2G internet access. I added a new work bench and I’m setting up one of my rooms
as a workshop/office. I finally found the missing hardware for the bathroom shower and
kitchen sink. I replace the kitchen faucet and proved I can still solder pipes, even with
the lead free solder. Oh, and I didn’t burn down the house. Next up my bathroom. That’s
going to be a major project but I’ll take it in steps.

Now to support the 1.2Gbps Xfinity access I needed a router that could handle more than
1Gbps. That was the port limit of my older Ubiquiti ER-Lite-3 router (1G x 3). That router
served me well and I may try to sell it on eBay. So I picked up a SuperMicro X10SLH-LN6TF
(10G x 6) as the FW. I then tried out pfsense. That worked
well but I needed to add a RT8125B NBaseT card to support the 2.5G interface on the Xfinity
modem (it will drop down to 1Gbps but I’m paying for 1.2Gbps). So I went
with Opnsense instead. I now have a working 2.5Gbps
interface between the modem and the FW. I did have the install the re driver, add some lines
to loader.conf and reboot (also reboot the modem). I’m now waiting on the 10G Copper Ethernet SPF+ to
arrive with some Cat6 cables so I can add that to my Cisco switch. I’ll still need to add
some more cabling to my network so I have at least 2Gbps Ethernet bundling between all the
switches. And yes I know it’s overkill but I work in networking. I also have my own DNS and
Certificate Authority for my local machines.

I’m also busy with CDL,

my makerspace and podcast studio and with my TCF
presentation. We’re back on Zoom so I need to figure out how to deal with that. I only have
about a month to prepare my TCF presentation. In that time
I also have:

So I’ll be a little stressed.

The past few weeks we’ve been busy adding to the network infrastructure at Camp Evans. We
ran two large spools of single mode copper between the CDL (9059 – The telecom building) and
Radio Museum/Admin Annex (9032A). It will be a few more weeks before we’ve completed the
last step to terminate in the basement of the Marconi Hotel (9001).

Oh I’d like to add that while working in the Radio Museum I had a great time with the
exhibits. Calling it a Radio Museum doesn’t really do it justice. I really need to go back
and visit to get the complete tour. I highly recommend it!

Right, almost forgot, I spent a good part of a day working on my
flow. I fixed the repository to have a main and dev branch. Main is what folks should pull
their production code from. If someone wants to fork code, use the dev branch. My feature
branches (like the pause feature I’m working on) are branched from the dev branch. I’ve
added my test suite to the 3.2.2 main branch but forgot to tag it (later). At the moment I’m
working on adding a pause feature. I think I have it working but I need to add test
coverage. One of the advantage of having the test suite is that as the code grows more
complex I don’t need to worry that I’ve missed something as the test suite should cover the
old requirements. The new code and tests just make sure I cover the new requirements also.

Labels: Opnsense

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here