A while back, RED introduced 8K live cinematic streaming with the RED Connect Module Pack: Now you can stream live directly from your V‑RAPTOR or V‑RAPTOR XL camera in full-resolution up to 8K 120P in the R3D video format over an IP network by connecting the camera to the control unit via a fiber cable. Both RED Connect Modules can be pre-ordered now for $14,995. The additional streaming software license is available for one year at $5995 or as a perpetual license for $14,995. Let’s take a closer look at this new feature!
If you are thinking about purchasing a RED V-RAPTOR VV 8K camera, I would highly recommend watching and reading this fantastic CineD Lab Test video and article from my colleagues Gunther and Nino. It should help you to make up your mind about the RED camera at least in terms of its dynamic range and rolling shutter capabilities. More information about the RED V-RAPTOR XL 8K can be found in this Tech Talk with Jarred Land.
RED Connect Module Pack
You can now do even more with your RED V-RAPTOR than “just” record in 8K – you can also stream at the same time. The new RED Connect Module Pack is mounted on the back of your camera using the V-lock mount.
After you establish a high-speed data connection with a fiber optic cable and the CFexpress slot of your RED V-RAPTOR camera, you can simultaneously record and stream live in the RED R3D video format up to 8K 120fps or 4K 240fps, or any other frame rate and resolution combination offered by the camera. Just keep in mind that you will need an additional license for the streaming software.
The design of the Connect Module Pack is rather slim and integrates very well with the camera body. If you want to shoot normally with your RED V-RAPTOR camera and include the Connect Module streaming setup, it should not obstruct your shooting.
As you can imagine, streaming a signal in 8K with 120 fps creates a massive amount of data for your bandwidth to handle, so here are the requirements for the setup:
- V-RAPTOR or V-RAPTOR XL camera with a RED Connect license
- RED Connect Module
- LC duplex single-mode fiber cable
- 10G Base-T or faster network switch (optional, must support 10 Gb/s connections)
- Camera Control Unit (CCU) with RED Connect App (included with the purchase of the RED Connect license)
- The Camera Control Unit must handle the bandwidth of the incoming data stream and have GPUS/DPUS/FPGAS capable of decompressing and debayering the R3D data with minimal latency. The RED Connect app is a service that runs in the background to accept and finalize the R3D.
- GPU-Driven CCU Reference Design for Compatible Workstation
- Motherboard: ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI (AMD WRX80 EATX)
- CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3955WX 3.9 GHz 16 Core
- RAM: 128GB DDR4-3200 REG ECC (8X16GB)
- GPU: either 1X RTX 6000 ADA or 2X A6000
- Networking: NVIDIA MELLANOX CONNECTX-5 or CONNECTX-6
RED Connect Module Pack – key features
- Stream Video Directly from V-RAPTOR XL
- High-Speed Data Connection
- Connects to Camera via CFexpress Slot
- Requires Separate License Purchase
- Stream up to 8K120 and 4K240 R3D Video
- Stream cinema quality R3D data to any networked destination
- Synchronize multiple cameras and other devices using PTP synchronization (SMPTE ST 2059-2)
- Integrated directly with NVIDIA professional GPUs and Rivermax to support SMPTE ST 2110 video workflows
Price and availability
The RED Connect Module Pack for V-RAPTOR is available for pre-order for $14,995.
The RED Connect Module Pack for V-RAPTOR XL is available for pre-order for $14,995.
With the Connect Module Pack, the additional streaming software licenses are available as software downloads for either one year at $5995 or as a perpetual license for $14,995. An additional one-month option will be available soon.
For further information about the Connect Module Pack, please visit the website of RED DIGITAL CINEMA.
What do you think about the RED Connect Module Pack? Do you own a V-RAPTOR or a V-RAPTOR XL and have you ever wanted to stream your signal? Please leave us your thoughts in the comment section below.